Sunday, January 3, 2010

You should go to the Tim Burton exhibit at the MOMA

Today I walked into the Tim Burton exhibit at the MOMA curious, and I attended in hopes of learning more about this man's journal from sketches to screen.

I left as a fan. Seeing his notes, early works, sketches on newspapers and drawings he most likely did not plan on saving and showing one day, appealed to me most.

I like to find and know what moment in a person's pursuits helped launch them into the next level, or a prosperous level, and I like the timeline on the wall of his pursuits and career. Also I noticed that a lot of his early sketches, characters, he kept hold of and used even many,many years later. A reminder that it is important to save things. Also I enjoyed along with elements and graphics, like spirals, that would show up throughout his work later.

I enjoyed seeing how his characters and early concepts, sketches translated and were later seen in the movies we know him for. I respect his journey and I enjoyed reading also the prologue and handwritten details from creating the story boards and concepts for some amazing films, he has such an imagination, very unique, a one-of-a-kind.

He worked as an apprentice artist at Disney Studios and I wondered if this experience helped to plant some seeds for his future.

Pee-wee Herman, which Tim Burton directed, was one of the first movies with adult characters that I ever saw. I'll never forget his red bike. It was also the first time and maybe the one time in my life I heard the word Alamo. Now that my fiance' is from Texas I know what it is and all but for a kid it was a piece of history I first gained from Pee Wee.

The details in Tim Burton's films is something I enjoy, respect and take notice of.
Notice how many times you have seen a character stitched up, whether on their body or clothing.

I haven't seen Mars Attacks, Planet of the Apes, Big Fish, Ed Wood or James and Giant Peach ( did read the book though), and I should see Beetlejuice again to really remember it...so I am sorry to admit I have a lot of movies to still see from him, but while going through the exhbit it doesn't matter how many you have or have not seen yet, I felt as if I was going in and through Tim Burton's mind, getting a taste of what is behind what he creates as I walked through the exhibit. Yes it was a packed exhibit, packed like more than a subway car during rush hour, yes it took over 30 minutes to walk through it, but oh my god, it was worth it.

Movies I have seen:
Batman and Batman Forever, Sleepy Hollow, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Pee-wee's Big Adventure, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands.

I love the artistic and creative story telling within the work I have seen.

Came home and watched Sleepy Hollow with my fiance' --we actually went to the town of Sleepy Hollow a couple years ago, a cool place to visit for a day trip from NYC.

I will be seeing his Alice in Wonderland, and I'd like to one day shake Tim's hand.

More on the exhibit here: http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/exhibitions/313

No comments: