Saturday, May 30, 2009

OMG Top-Earning Models comments

I recently read this article at Yahoo's OMG about the top earning models, inside the article it mentioned,

"The modeling industry was hard-hit by the economic crisis. Prominent fashion labels canceled or downgraded their runway shows, leaving models hoping for a break with fewer opportunities. Declining revenues at major beauty and retail companies left agents with less leverage to bargain for their clients."

I do also feel the economy hit the commercial print modeling business as brands decide where to spend their ad dollars. My phone still rings, but I will admit it has been a bit slower.

As for aspiring models, and girls who are curious about modeling: The web is a growing place to promote however I do not think it is the best place to promote yourself nor look for work. Only if you have a very selective and perceptive eye.
It is not easy to market yourself and know the scams from the legit sometimes, so I suggest mailing your photos to agencies and working with professionals to get professional work.

I still strongly feel as a modeling portfolio builder there is still more of a feeling of crediblity seeing yourself in print. Will I do a web ad, yes. Getting the opportunity to be shot for something for print, or a TV commercial to me sounds mor credible than an online video. So be picky about what you choose and ask questions ahead of time.

I will be featured a pedicure model in the June 15th issue of Women's World magazine. Look for the cute flower imprint on my toe!

No comments: