Thursday, February 25, 2010

Shannon Murray made me smile today


I discovered Shannon Murray today and I am glad I did. She might be in a wheelchair, but that doesn't matter, she is also model on a mission; she is an inspiration. She has appeared on the popular UK television show "How to Look Good Naked” and many other television shows, and won the UK's first ever modeling competition for disabled people called "Model in a Million".

Tamara Abraham, from The Daily Mail, recently shared that the Debenhams deparment store is the first High Street retailer to use a disabled model in its advertising campaigns. In the campaign "Miss Murray will join three other models in the campaign: Kate Fullman, who is a size 16, Tess Montgomery, a petite 5ft 4in model and Tokumbo Daniel, who is a size 10." I am excited Debenhams has put diversity out there. I hope it spreads to other stores and countries.

Read more about Shannon here: http://www.shannonmurray.co.uk/index.htm

On her blog it recently read:

Photoshoot

Just home from a brilliant busy day, a really great photoshoot.
I can't go into much detail yet, not until after the launch next week, but suffice to say it was a first....

There was a fabulous crew on board, everyone was so lovely and supportive.
Usually I don't feel particularly nervous ahead of photo shoots, I've been modelling for over 14 years, but this time it was different. It is a first and as I was getting ready in hair and make up, the potential of this shoot really struck me ; another small step towards inclusion and representation of disability. I hope the images challenge a few misconceptions about disability; it's been a long time coming.

More to come next week....
Sx

No comments: