Tuesday, June 21, 2011

WTF! Why don't more beauty brands have a recycling program?

(there are 7 here actually)

Hey Girls,

I have been true to Bare Escentuals, but WTF Bare Escentuals can you give a girl an eco-friendly packaging approach, I'm waiting on you, can you help me out please? Actually, help me, help you! I want to help you out because I have seriously MANY of these empty plastic containers (that means I've spent already over $200 on your products but really I've spent much more I just threw those containers in the recycling bin at my place, anyway, I would like to drop these off at your store or a Sephora near me, and I don't need a discount or gift, sure of course I would take one, I mean even a dollar off would be cool or a free sample, but the point would be I'd feel better about your brand) and it's getting ridiculous. I am just waiting, hoping that one day you will have a recycling program. :(   Your whole packaging is plastic. Plastic you could be re-using. Or at least encourage your customers to recycle your products.  If there is a program for your company hiding in the dark somewhere, please let me know. When you consider starting one, I will promote it and be at the front of the campaign, ready! Also by the way, your recent packaging is a pain in the butt, getting the last bit of my product is what I do and your current packaging makes this tough. I squeeze the bottle for the last drop of my primer, shampoo bottle, I drink the backwash of my water bottle, I use it all! And it is very much a pain to bang, bang, bang the container to the point of anger just to get the full use of my purchase of your powder. I'd like to go back to the old packaging. The first packaging that was easy to open and swipe up the last bit with my brush. Please think about it, I still like you but I am getting real annoyed. Thanks.

(waiting on a recycling program)

However, M.A.C., LUSH, Origins, Kiehls and Aveda all offer recycling programs which is cool. Don't just throw your face wash bottle, cleanser, toner bottle in the trash bag. Recycle it!

M.A.C. gives you a free lipstick for returning six [6] M·A·C primary packaging containers to a M·A·C counter: http://www.maccosmetics.com/giving_back/btm_return_packaging.tmpl

Origins has a recycling program called Return to Origins, you may bring your empty Origins empty cosmetic tubes, bottles and jars to stores, here's more on the program, Reuse,Reduce, Recycle: http://www.origins.com/customer_service/aboutus.tmpl

LUSH, bring in five black pots and get a free mask mask! Tomorrow I am actually going to LUSH to return 5 pots!

Avenda takes back the caps from bottles of all types, read more on their program here: http://www.aveda.com/aboutaveda/caps.tmpl?ngextredir=1

Kiehl's has a recycle and be rewarded program, watch the video here on Facebook: Kiehl’s will offer customers a Limited Edition Eco-Tote designed by Pharrell Williams. Each tote is manufactured from Bionic® Yarn fabric, and includes 9 plastic bottles. The “Recycle and Be Rewarded” program takes place from 1 April 2011 to 31 March 2012. Get your new recycling cards from any Kiehl’s stores and start recycling!


This is all inspiring and awesome news, but what about drugstore brands? I wonder how hard would it be to send a recycling return box to drug stores?  Customers could drop off their plastics and makeup packaging material for each brand or the store itself or the brands could work something out with the suppliers and  manufacturers of their goods? I would actually do this if it was available. It kind of bothers me when I recycle a mascara tube or liptick tube even in my own recycling bin at home and I can't help but think, "Um, what's going to happen to that?"

Couldn't these brands could re-use their own packaging? Wouldn't this be smart? Cost-saving?  Maybe it costs more to wash and clean and re-use the material. I am not sure but I am searching for proof of why recycling their own packaging is not something it seems that most beauty brands do naturally.

Wouldn't the brands save money by re-using packaging? Why isn't this just common sense? Also so many times I walk in to a drug store SO many items are sitting there un-sold for months! Same items getting dusty and I wonder what will happen to this packaging? So their products this season may have not been as interesting to the consumer, but couldn't this plastic be re-used? Is this my nutty idea? Is it carelessness, or is this too much to ask?

I like a brand more when they do have a recycling program.

Plastics and products can be sold in these recycled packaging materials and plastics again and again, there is nothing wrong with the plastic, so why not?

Hopefully in the next years more beauty brands will decide to create their own recycling program. The cosmetic world needs to wake up when it comes to reducing waste! Even if I wasn't offered a free gift, I think it is a smart idea as a brand to have a recycling program. I don't need to be bribed to recycle. I already do it. Gift or no gift, I would be part of it.

A video I hosted for Stylelist.com on things you can recycle right in your bathroom from your beauty routine: http://www.stylelist.com/2008/08/05/beauty-tips-with-model-isobella-jade-recycling-your-products/

~Isobella

No comments: