Thursday, February 19, 2009

How Levi's can turn around women's jeans

I like Levi's. I think they can turn around their women jeans. If you have walked into a Levi store recently then you might have noticed the new appeal of the brand, the Times Square store is a hit, and the one across from Bloomingdales is always busy. I have a few pairs, ones I have recently purchased, although I think the brand needs a little help.

When you walk into the store 50% is men, and 50% is for women, which I think is a big bad idea. This brings me to in-store space issues and the problems of introducing the women's collection with half of the store women's so quickly. No one I know wears Levi's much if at all. None of my female friends do.

I understand that the target audience of a Levi female customer is not most likely right now the most fashion forward girl, but then again from the Levi ads and commercials you see this sex appeal implied for a younger audience that is fashion forward. This is an issue for Levi. Because if a girl goes to the Levi store with her boyfriend, she might look around and notice a cute item or two, but does she buy it? Nope. Not typically. I think Levi made a mistake with bringing in so much of the female item too soon without considering that the customer doesn't want a mom-jean. Overall I think introducing the female line so aggressively was wrong, they should have made it a gradual introduction, not a full force matter.

The next issues are design and fit.

The design of the jeans need help. And if they want that female customer, they need to produce some more fashion forward designs. I am not talking about becoming a Lucky Jean, selling out to True Religion or being bought by a company like that, I am saying the brand can compete, but needs an update that still keep their image real. The big problem is cut of the jeans is naturally big, wide, but not in a way that compliments curves, instead it makes you look bigger, not more alluring, which doesn't make a woman feel comfortable. I wear a very small size, such as a zero or a size 24 jeans, but yet when I put on a Levi all I can find is a size 25. Which is too big. Also the length is too long.

I do not think the brand should lose it's roots of being the guy next door jean, and the tough and lasting appeal of the texture of the fabric is right on. But being a girl next door jean is a tough one for them. Despite that the jeans are basically affordable- But I will say a very nice blazer I saw for a female was priced WAYYYYY too high for an introduction of more clothing items at a Levi store for women. It went down at Christmas season I think 40% off but it was still too high. For jeans, right now Levi does not have the image yet to be a $100 or more jean. But they try to be. A few styles are over 90 bucks. I will admit I have a pair. Although I do not turn to them often enough. Apart of me feels paying over 60 for a Levi is nuts, but actually it isn't. Girls spend wayyy more on jeans. Or have in the past. Maybe girls won't be shopping as much for expensive jeans, but maybe this is the perfect time for Levi to pick up their game and present, represent and create a better female jean between 60-100 bucks that a girl who is 17 and 27 and 37 can go to.

This makes me think about why a female picks a jean, it is a comfort, a good feeling, a confidence when slidinghem over our hips ( or me my hip bone), but Levi doesn't give me this feeling yet. I do believe in them though. They can change.

If Levi wants to get that female buyer in the store, not just looking but buying. If they want the dressing rooms active and females wearing the red tag on their jeans, they need to fix the design, and keep the prices under $100 and think about the women who have curves, but who are not wearing fanny-pack.

I like Levi, I have an awesome pair of skinny dark purple jeans which I love and wear often, but they are not my favorite pair yet.

No comments: