Sunday, February 1, 2009

Martin Munkacsi Photography feature




I love how photography stops time, keeps it safe, and reveals it at a later date.

I visited the with my boyfriend at the International Center of Photography, and I enjoyed the exhibit of Martin Munkacsi very much this weekend.

I was drawn to his cropping and his action shots. I liked the first display of a woman in a car and her hair blowing, it looked like she didn't have a bra on under her polo shirt but the shot was sincerely sexual, the breeze and movement was capturing. It didn't too posed which I liked, only one of Katherine Hepburn and her plane looked staged.

He was very into cropping his photos. Which might seem obvious to shooters today but in the 1930's without Photoshop Munkacsi describes his own work by saying "The photograph you see signed with my name is sometimes only a fraction of the original photograph."

This exhibit shared the collection of over 4,000 glass negatives recently acquired by the International Center of Photography, organized by Erin Barnett, ICP Assistant Curator of Collections, this memorable exhibit includes vintage and modern prints, and original negatives, many still in their boxes with Munkacsi's handwritten annotations.

The boxes with the names written on them of those and things he photographed. Like we write on CD's to organize our photos today Munkacsi wrote on these small glass plate cardboard boxes, a few read:

"Harpers Bazaar Howard Hughes Flight"

"Harpers Katherine Hepburn & sister."

"Statue of Liberty"

"Helena Rubinstein luncheon"

"Fred Astaire"

I liked the negative of the Mercedes Benz automobile parade from 1933.

No comments: