Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Reader and Changeling still on my mind

Instead of going out for drinks my friend and I saw The Reader, it was really very good. Intense. Very beautiful, the dark dreary mood was well created and sad, and overall the film was so good that you really don't have to see it again, (sorry to DVD sales), but it is one of those films that you just won't forget, and that sinks deep in your mind that you will keep it in you.

Besides the first part of the film being based on the love affair between Michael and Hanna, ( I liked the scene of her putting on stockings and the bath,)
the shame that Hanna had because she couldn't read stayed on my mind afterwards, the shame was so strong that it even lead her to a longer sentence in jail,and I especially loved how Michael read aloud and recorded himself on cassettes and mailed her many collections of them while she was in jail and getting older, and teaching herself how to read while listening to him speak on the cassettes and counting which word he spoke could equal the written word, soon she could write. Not well but the whole movie was really impressive, not what I expected and it was also cool to see a film that involved reading.

I wasn't trying to write a film review, just really still have it on my mind.

Also yesterday during the day with my bf we watched Changeling with Angelina Jolie, and I told my bf I would have done the same as her character, hunting, and not giving up, and I do believe in having to see something to believe it, it would be very hard to believe a child was really gone without having that final closure. For a moment I thought it was a horror film, (some parts made me walk away, shut my eyes, go to get a drink so I couldn't watch.)because the side story about man the child encountered was really shocking, and it is a true story.

Both films want to make you research the characters in the film and know more about what happened to Michael, and Christine.

It was sort of a dark movie day for sure but in a good way.

No comments: