Monday, January 9, 2012

Let's hear it for the Girls! Incase you didn't know this about me: History means a lot to me.

The full moon last night.


Let's hear it for the Girls! Incase you didn't know this about me: History means a lot to me. The roots of all we have and know today are important to me and I mostly love learning about the history of things because of the stories that are uprooted of the people from that period and how what we have today reflects the past so much. I enjoyed reading the feature in the January issue of Vogue on Me...ryl Streep, really intrigued me and not just because she is the oldest covergirl, I was inspired because the article mentioned this website that will hopefully become a real museum one day, http://www.nwhm.org/education-resources/ and read about Meryl Streep's efforts and passion to bring the National Women’s History Museum to life here: http://www.vogue.com/magazine/article/meryl-streep-force-of-nature/ I do believe girls of all ages need to hear more stories of women in history from all walks of life, I think it could really make a difference on their mindset and lives. I recently watched a documentary on Susan B Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton, two very different women, from different backgrounds and who lived different types of lives, but who worked together and made great things happen for the women's rights movement and I was like "How did I not know all of this!!" In school we only get a very small slice, a teeny weeny amount of info in history class. I think this is sad. So it's up you to choose to find out more. Learning about women in history can be inspiration for our own dreams, and our women-heroes should be more influential than girls singing about lollipops and their milkshakes. I also wanted to share some books that I enjoy when I need some inspiration in my life, they are not history books at first glance, but through reading them I've been able to dive into a different time period and see what life was like then and I've loved that aspect too, Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls, Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand, Chanel: A Woman of Her Own by Axel Madsen, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. ~IJ
 

The sunrise this morning

No comments: