Friday, July 11, 2008

Saving money on your beauty routine

Enjoy this article I wrote that is currently up at Citychickmag.com


Saving money on your beauty routine might seem impossible but here are some tips that help when it comes to making your hair color, skin, manicure and pedicure last longer.

How to make your hair color last longer?
Wear a silk scarf when you are out in the sun, put a bandana around your head or wear a hat, especially in the summer. This will prevent the sun for lightening your hair and drying it out.

How do I keep your manicure and pedicure nice without spending so much at the salon?
First I have my own nail polish and I bring it to the salon with me, so that I can fix my manicure or pedicure if the color chips, since I have the color always handy. I rely on my own touch ups to fix my manicure. I save money this way and don't have to run back to the salon and I can manage my own manicure and pedicure for up to three weeks. Also I paint a clear topcoat over the final color coat of color which keeps the nail polish pretty longer.

What about spa facials?
I give myself my own facials, and I use St. Ives on my face - to me that is a facial. I put cucumbers on my eyes. To hydrate drier skin, you can also give yourself your own face masks by using products in your kitchen such as by mixing: 1 egg yolk, 1 tablespoon honey and a few drops of safflower oil, rub on your face and rinse.

How do you limit your haircut salon visits and save money on haircuts?
I deep condition and use hot oil treatments ( I like V05's hot oil treatment) often which keeps my hair moisturized so that the ends of my hair stay full of life. You can also make home made conditioner which is great for damaged or dry hair. Try the Honey Hair Conditioner: (Adapted from Naturally Healthy Hair, by Mary Beth Janssen (Storey Books, 1999)).


Honey is high in vitamins and minerals, and serves as a good moisturizer and conditioner. Directions for using honey in hair: Add a teaspoon of honey to a teaspoon of shampoo, or use honey by itself as a wonderful hair conditioner. Work 1/2 cup through your hair (using more or less according to your hair length). Put a plastic shower cap or bag over the hair for 20 to 30 minutes to let your body heat optimize the conditioning benefit of the honey, then shampoo and rinse thoroughly.

By using these tips, you will be able to save a lot of money on your beauty regiment!

No comments: