Thursday, July 23, 2009

How I save money as a model on fashion


Paychecks for a model are not every week. Often it takes months to be paid for a gig; therefore saving money on clothing is essential. Here are 5 ways I spend less.


1. I shop selectively and I plan my shopping. Shopping when I am bored or just because usually doesn’t result in a good purchase for me. To prevent buying something that will just sit in the small closet, which is very easy to do living in New York City, it is best to look at what you do have and consider how you can upgrade a simple dress. Don’t forget a boring black dress can be spiced up with a belt or a cardigan, or maybe even cut that longer dress into a mini before going out and dropping a wad of cash on something new.

2. If I see a dress I love in a store I try it on, but many times I have found that the dress is sold cheaper on the internet, even within buying it the same season. Do your research before you purchase. Shopping online for items that are over $100 in store can be found cheaper online sometimes.

3. Handbags and shoes are items that can dress up a simple look and cost the least, so I spend most of my money on these items. I usually am carrying a “clutch conversation piece.” I also love meeting aspiring designers and I go to tradeshows and events in the city and meet the designers, it is fun to wear a piece when you know who made it. Usually you pay less too!

4. I don’t like to over-do my jewelry and I spend the least on it. Shopping for jewelry can be tricky, especially if you are on a budget. Did you know there are also great finds at jewelry sample sales, trades shows and even street craft shows? The styles I wear most are from Simon G, Carnelian Knoll, St.John, Judith Jack, The Metropolitan Museum of Art Shop has some beautiful pieces for day and night for reasonable prices. H&M also does a good job with accessories and jewelry.

5. The basics last longer. I have learned that those fabulous designer shoes are gorgeous and fun to wear, but typically all I wear are my black heels. A way to save money is to focus on buying items that you love and really will wear. And instead of buying yourself another pair you might not wear, buy something for someone else. It is easy to treat yourself again, but there is a joy that shouldn’t be forgotten in giving the gift of a great deal.

No comments: