Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Jane Goodall- you should get to know her mind

I asked my boyfriend if he knew who my hero's were, people I admire, he was surprised to know one was Jane Goodall. I asked him if he knew who she was. No.
A good for all woman? No. Jane of the jungle?...well sort of.

I have liked monkeys all my life. And Jane Goodall is the Monkey Queen, she studied Chimps for 40 years, I googled her tonight to see what would come up.

I found this interview on her from salon.com on Oct. 27, 1999,
and I like this answer she replied when asked: What's a good resolution for humanity as the new millennium approaches?

"We've got to somehow stop thinking that because there are 6 billion people in the world, what we do can't make any difference. As education progresses around the world, which it really is, people are understanding what's dangerous to the environment. They understand what they should and shouldn't do. But we still have people thinking, "It doesn't matter what I do, it's just me." If we can change that thinking around, it will have an enormous impact."

What she said still is something we need to work on.

That was over 8 years ago. And as the New Year comes for 2009, I ask, have we started thinking of the environment yet, or just ourselves?

I think everything effects everything. If you litter, that litter gets into your water, and your water becomes less good for you. If you waste electricity, energy is wasted.

The world is not just ours to ruin or waste. - isobella

More about Jane, from her website: "In the summer of 1960, 26-year-old Jane Goodall arrived on the shore of Lake Tanganyika in East Africa to study the area's chimpanzee population.

Although it was unheard of for a woman to venture into the wilds of the African forest, the trip meant the fulfillment of Jane Goodall's childhood dream. Jane’s work in Tanzania would prove more successful than anyone had imagined." Learn more at Jane Goodall.org

No comments: