Thursday, January 22, 2009

Petite Black Models acceptance and marketing

----------------- Original Message -----------------
From: ______________
Date: Jan 20, 2009 2:24 PM


Hi, Isobella! I just added you as a friend, and after reading your blogs on modeling, I am inspired to keep pursuing dreams that many think are impossible feats. I have been interested in modeling, but I'm 5'1." I've searched aggressively for companies that would see potential in me, but all I've found are those scuzzy websites that promote petite women as these slutty objects. I really dislike that, and like you, I don't see that as modeling. I have this vision of myself doing meaningful, artistic work, yet it's hard to make that happen when there isn't a large market for petite models. (I live in Houston, by the way.) Despite all that, I believe I'll find the golden opportunity to represent for petite black women, as well as have a poetry book (it'll be my second book) that will defy people's low expectations for poetry and sell, and have success as a recording artist. I really appreciate people like you for representing and standing strong! Take care.



Jan 20, 2009 5:14 PM Subject:
RE: You inspire me!
Body:
Thank you ____,

The power of yes is what I live by. If you want something you have to be willing to make it happen. And you have to expect that it is hard work. The short cut doesn't work in life. It takes will, ambition and the smarts to know how to market yourself in proper ways. I am the shortest model in NYC by far, but yet I have found ways to get great agents by promoting what I do have. Great skin, a proportioned body a diverse look and energy! Even though I am short my legs have been seen on Victoria's Secret. com modeling shoes and also i recently posed for the Easy Spirit shoes ad campaign for spring 09 out in Feb. So with the right mindset, the right marketing, the right professional modeling marketing tools-compcard, headshot, and the right ambition you can make even something that seems distance right in your hand.

Too many girls give up. Settle, accept the 5 second of being "a hot thing," i am so over the hot thing. I don't see the point in the ego boost and I don't get it from a guy commenting on me. Basically if men are the only ones calling you a model then you are not one. And if you have never modeled a product, you are not a model. Ask yourself," What have I modeled?" If the answer is just you then obviously you do not know what it means to work in the modeling business. The business is not on the internet, it is not glamour modeling, it is working with brands, and magazines, and good quality photographer's-people who know the craft of photography not just soem jack ass with a camera at his side to lure in ladies.

As a shorter model I have had to do alot hands on. My own mailings, and alot of them to agencies, production companies, ad agencies, and really build my own portfolio. I have had to chase the work I wanted and be careful about what I do and say yes to. Always thinking of the aftermath or "how will this effect my other goals?"

Alot of girls look for petite modeling agencies or acceptance...when you say black petite models, you should be saying print models, and actually in the current Bazaar magazine out now, Feb issue, there is a black leg and shoe model in it modeling bags and shoes. You should pick it up. SO you might want to consider ALL types of modeling you can do, beauty-close up shots, commercial print-energy shots, personality is needed, and parts modeling.


And remember modeling is many things, from tampon commercials, to hair care, models are all types so start noticing where short girls are used, in print for jewelry, haircare, skincare, and commercial products. Someone has to model that cleaning product, that car, that beer, that handbag and shoe. Notice what you do have. My first modeling job with an agency was shoe modeling. I was a size 6 shoe and that's what is needed to shoe model for showrooms in NYC. I first worked with Lifestride, Hotkiss, Naturalizer, and so many others then I started getting print work, modeled for Marshalls shoes, and it all comes from work. There is no easy road and to model and work with brands and magazines you have to accept what you are not, and grow to what you want to be and still can be.

It's all about what you chase and how you do it, and the work you put in. So many girls just pop their photo online and show their ass 2 times a month on a paid modeling site and the rest of the time you know where they are??? Really no where.

Congrats on your poetry.

Goodluck!
Isobella Jade

No comments: