Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Does Facebook Need a Model?

Although I have my Bachelor in Advertising and Marketing, I have been selling a lot of myself lately and I am curious if the Facebook.com ads need a model?

Recently on Advertising Age, Chamath Palihapitiya, Facebook's Marketing Man and the VP-of product marketing and operations said that he is putting the advertising back in the hands of the people. This sounds like something that should Be Apart of the presidential campaign. On a serious note, I think what he is saying is to cut out the bullshit and clutter and honestly make advertising a fun and enjoyable thing not a bothersome bee bizzing and biting your email, or Facebook'ing in the ass. I love the advertising friendly and user friendly mindset. I like the opportunity and test he is offering. I think more advertising should be like this. I also love advertising that is funny, inventive and that makes a person “think" and feel a connection. Even if I don't buy the product (which I know is the point), I still remember the Ad and I actually love advertising... I love watching commercials, I would rather watch it that the reality show crap on TV. I think Mr.Facebook is really making a statement about marketing and that since anyone can launch their own fame over the Internet, so can a product, but it has to come from a place that is wanted, and not a distraction. This means if an AD is used it is quite a compliment.

I'm Lovin' it!

No comments: