Thursday, November 22, 2007

The sad Prada Girls

In the latest issue of Vanity Fair there is a feature on Young Ladies of NYC Private Schools, it kinda makes me sick when one of the girls says of growing up in NYC, " We are so much more cultured," and then defines her culture advancement by saying, "In college you meet people who don't even know how to pronounce 'Prada'"
If she is saying that NOT knowing how to pronounce Prada is a bad thing, I beg to differ. I myself remember when I first heard the name Kate Spade during my freshman year of college at New York Institute of Technology, style wasn't even a word in my vocab and I turned to the Alloy Catalog, and before the Myspace.com popularity contest and AOL being free as long as you a connection, there wasn't the feeling of being behind in fashion by not knowing how to spell some fashion designers name or wear his name on the back of your sweater. Being from Syracuse, NY, although I am a model, I step back into reality when I visit, my mother now lives in Oswego and the latest fashion is a Coach bag, but most are in Flannel and jeans, and sneakers, heels for that matter are still not around, not seen at all, and even in my Sassy Payless boots that costs only 15 bucks, with a 3 inch heel,- I feel the stares around the Mall, -the average American girl doesn't really define and design themselves by fashion yet. I bet these girls in Vanity Fair don't even know the history of Prada, or anything about the launch and struggles and passion that went into the name???? Have they ever put passion into anything? Sorry, this article really pissed me off. Yet they wear it? I would never wear a luxury label without really knowing and understanding all the worth behind the name. The work, the image, the story. Chanel has a good story. I'd like to tell these girls to take a trip 4 hours into Upstate NY and they might actually feel pathetic carrying all their labels and logos...I don't admire people who judge others based on such a narrow minded viewpoint.Don't get me wrong, I love fashion, bags, shoes, shoes!!!... but the difference is I love the art of it, the creation process, the production, the work that goes into creating a fashion line. I have a handbag designer friend and I have watched her build her company from scratch and seeing her do it from her heart first hand makes her price of 300-400 wholesale worth it, yet these girls who think not knowing how to pronounce a name of a label degrates their position in society is seriously wacko!
I am glad I don't have the type of culture these girls have, it is very shallow and really it distances them from really making their circle wider by judging people for not knowing the latest trend.
www.vanityfair.com

No comments: