Friday, August 8, 2008

Wegmans was my Whole Foods growing up in Syracuse, NY


Wegmans was like my Whole Foods growing up in Syracuse, NY, growing up in the 80's Wegmans was high end, the floors were polished, the clean aisles, and they had "free" benefits of candy and cookies.

This was before Wegmans had a website. I went to the one in Liverpool, NY, 7519 Oswego Road



The Candy section, full of bales and bales of candy in brown colored bins, wow, I can still remember it like yesterday. You were welcome to take one, or many samples of candy, and then comes the second favorite thing: Free Cookies!


I remember the yummy sugar cookies and free cookies I would look forward to during shopping with mom. It was sort of a big deal for us to shop there.


We would go garage sale shopping and then hit Wegmans for their sales.


Did you also know that Wegmans Ranks #3 on FORTUNE magazine's list of '100 Best Companies to work for.


Maybe it was just a rule I made up as a cookie lovin' kid, but I don't think they have an age limit on that free cookie thing, but just let the kids go first.


Wegmans Facts:

1930 Wegmans opens a 20,000 square-foot Clinton Avenue (Rochester, NY) "showplace" store with cafeteria seating for 300.


1932 Wegmans introduces two Rochester firsts: refrigerated display windows and vaporized water sprays to keep produce fresh.

1968 Wegmans opens first Syracuse store at John Glenn Blvd. in Clay.

No comments: